1. I am a quarter Japanese. But unfortunately, despite Guru B's hopes and dreams, my family is not famous...well, except for the fact that I'm distantly and in weird ways related to Emperor Hirohito...and also directly related to a samurai...which is sweet.
2. I get unnaturally attached to pet fish. I can't really explain it...but I can't even walk by the fish tanks in Wal-mart and Meijer because I'm afraid of seeing a dead fish floating on the surface of the water. If I see that, I'll break down. Senior year of high school I almost skipped a day of classes when I woke up to find my fish, Ferris, had died. It was a bad day. And junior year of college, I, of course, was the one to notice that Abby's fish had died. Everyone was a little freaked out when I fell to my knees and started bawling in the middle of the room...and I couldn't stop crying to explain what had happened.
3. I am obsessed with the sky. I could sit and look at the clouds/stars/sunrise/sunset/rain/snow/lightening/etc... forever. I'm pretty sure that on the way home from Japan in high school I sat on the plane, (in the middle set of seats, mind you) and looked past about 4 people and an aisle to look out the window for 4 hours straight. The sun was rising over Alaska...I couldn't help myself. Also, when I worked at O'malia's in high school, I used to request that my break be at a certain time depending on when the sun was setting...I'd drive over, park my car, watch the sunset, take a few pictures, then head back to work.
4. I can't stand it when people don't screw off the cap of the toothpaste. I hate that little flippy opener thing. It gets so gross all the time! Toothpaste is already gross enough, I don't want the crusty sickness all over the cap too and then all over my fingers...gross. So always screw off the top...never ever use the flippy opener thingy...sick sick sick.
5. I was born with an extra thumb on my left hand. No one noticed until I was 3 days old. My mom was feeding me at 3am, still in the hospital, and my dad was at home sleeping. She called him freaking out saying, "Claudia's got two thumbs!" He said that I was supposed to. :) Things were cleared up soon after...and my thumb was removed a year later.
6. I freak out when people touch my toes. So don't, because you'll probably get a kick in the face.
7. I have a very strange (and awesome) obsession with time travel and time/space continuum stuff. My favorite book is Timeline by Michael Crichton; I loved the TV show Journeyman (which, sadly, was cancelled after one season); and I really like movies like Butterfly Effect.
8. Hope College and Holland, Michigan are pretty much my second home. I spent the best years of my life there...and I know, I KNOW, that I will be back there again living and working and giving back to that wonderful community that gave me so much.
9. I have two older brothers that are two of the most brilliant people I know. Not only are they so wise and experienced and willing to teach and help, they are also rockstars at The Legend of Zelda...which my mom and I make dates to watch them play.
10. Judging from my inner desire to be a distance runner, I think that in a past life I was an Olympic marathoner. I also believe I was (yes, was) a time traveler in a future life. Get that! :)
11. I live and work in a residential high school. Yes. I get paid to create programs about topics I love, watch movies, hang out, sometimes take care of serious issues, but also just be awesome, all with a bunch of brilliant and talented high school kids. And the people I work with are pretty much more than I could ever ask for in coworkers, "housemates," and friends. My job rocks. I laugh far too much each and everyday. Plus, my schedule is to die for. You should all be jealous.
12. Twelve is my favorite number. There is a funny story behind it. :) It has to do with some messed up sign language during a Thanksgiving dinner.
13. I swam year-round and on my high school team for a total of 7 (or maybe 8?) years. Sure, I want to be a runner. Sure, I'd love to just head outside and play some backyard football. But I am very proud of the fact that I can swim and totally hold my own. I head to the pool, and I know that people don't expect to see what I can really do. That is one of the few things I am really, truly proud of.
14. There is almost nothing better than going for a walk with a friend on a chilly night to just aimlessly walk and talk.
15. I have come to terms and am completely ok with two important things in my life: my indefinite, always-changing, difficult to explain religious "beliefs"...and the fact that I'm turning into my mother.
16. Before I'm 30, I want to teach in Japan for a year or two. It'll happen.
17. I find that I like to rank things...particularly favorite foods. Number 1, curry rice. Number 2, parmesan cheese. Number 12ish, soft boiled eggs and toast. I don't know what is in between by number...but when I say "Oh man, I love this food..," I normally place it in my list of favorites somewhere. I should probably add the triple grande espresso truffle from Starbucks somewhere in there too. I'm addicted.
18. I absolutely love theme days and theme parties, dressing up in costumes, and being different characters just for fun.
19. My mom makes my purses as well as other fun things (like my awesome duvet covers and pillows). I get more compliments on these things than I can count, and every single person agrees that she should sell her stuff so that everyone can share in the homemade love.
20. I've kept hand-written journals since 8th grade, writing every night before I go to bed. I have a box full of completed journals (don't know the count though!). It hasn't been until I got this job that I've missed so much time between entries. I haven't written in my current journal since December, and I have a feeling I won't get back in the groove again for a while. It was incredibly vital for my mental health for years of my life...and still sometimes, when all else fails, I'm sure to get my plain, medium tip, blue, Bic pen out and write until I feel better.
21. I'm really passionate about giving blood, but most of the time my iron count is too low. I've gotten really upset about being turned away before. I just think it's so easy to do to save up to three lives. Plus, it just stinks that so many people have completely fine iron counts, but are afraid of needles or just say they don't have enough time to go donate...that's why I always try to give, and it makes me mad when I can't.
22. I was going to study abroad in Italy instead of Japan during my junior year. Five days before my application was due to Hope's study abroad office, I freaked out and changed my mind though. Although, Japan was probably the better decision, I still wonder how my life would be different had I gone to Italy instead.
23. In my life, I have, at one time or another, wanted to be a swim coach, an accountant, a resort manager, a sports psychologist, a professor, and a Disney princess when I grew up.
24. I'm going to be an aunt in about 2 months!
25. The people in my life mean more to me than any plans I have or favorite things I've listed...and they always will. I love big.
Wow Claudia - I really like this blog - it gave me a change to learn a lot about you that I didn't know and read some stuff that I did. Like the fact that your co-workers are amazing! HA. Seriously though, this is cool - I am impressed with the fact that you journal every night before bed!
ReplyDelete