Monday, July 13, 2009

Overdue update.

I feel like this entry needs to be a mile (or two) long, but for whatever reason I haven't been in a bloggy mood lately, as you may have all noticed! I'll do my best...but it won't be lengthy.

Okay...

Well, graduation happened on May 23rd. Yay! Summer! The beginning of my summer started out WONDERFULLY. I got to get up when I wanted, walk to Starbucks, sit in the sun and journal, drink iced coffee, and walk back whenever I pleased. I could take naps (in my bed or out in the Burris backyard in the sun). I got to cook for myself more! And I got to hang out with other SLCs that were still around. It was great!

Then, I left for Little Rock with my mom, aunt, and uncle. We went down to help move Baba (my grandma) up to Carmel for good. ....I was dreading it.... I was glad I could help, because we all know that certain things could not have been moved/lifted without me, the van would not have been packed like it was, and I'm sure a lot more tears would have been shed and fights would have broken out had I not been there to be an outside observer to their family relationships. Luckily, I only had one breakdown. Anyways, the entire time all I wanted was to be back in Muncie. Whoever would have thought that I'd EVER say that I wished I was in Muncie?! Haha...but Muncie is my home now; it's MY space.

So anyways, we finally got back to Carmel and pretty much my mom's entire side of the family was there. It was great to see my cousins and talk with my other uncle, but my heart was still in Muncie. The day after we arrived in Carmel, my uncle arrived with all of my grandma's other furniture in a moving truck. The ENTIRE family went over to her apartment and started carrying stuff up to her third-floor apartment. It was probably about 85 degrees (which was nothing compared to the 100 degree weather we had in Little Rock). We finished fairly quickly (I mean, there were about 10 of us carrying things), and then all came back to my house to eat dinner and just gab. That night my cousin, Lisa, and I went back to my gma's apartment to sleep since my house was packed. It was good to spend time with her. :)

So, my dad is awesome. The next day, pretty much all day, he kept telling me that they had enough hands and things were under control enough that I could head back to Muncie as soon as I wanted. He knew that I was missing my home and also that I had a TON of work to do in my new apartment still. So I left around 2:30ish. It sounds stupid, but I almost cried when I drove back into town.

That night I got a jump start on painting my new apartment. (That's right, the work did not end!) I had to get supplies and get set up...but started painting around 7:00 and did what I could until about 10:00. I got up the next morning at 7:00 and got a few more supplies from Walmart, and I continued painting all day...until about 11:00. I was really really motivated to get it all done, and fast. I was on a slightly tight schedule, because new SLCs were moving in the next week-ish. So I needed to paint my apartment and move all of my stuff over in time for the custodians to clean and arrange my old apartment. I was sore and exhausted, but it was actually pretty therapeutic. I complained about painting so much beforehand, but it turned out to be just what I needed to do when I got back here. I made my new place, my own...and I did it all on my own. :)

After all the painting, I was incredibly sore in strange places. My quads, from stepping up on a chair over and over. My calves, from still being too short to reach the ceiling edge even on a chair...so I'd stand on my tip-toes. My neck and shoulders and lower back. And my feet, from just standing all day long. Oh, and the best spot was my hand. It was perpetually cramped in the position it was in when I was holding my edging brush. (That brush was the best $5.97 I've ever spent at Walmart.) It was painful. But I got both rooms and the bathroom done, 2 coats each, in roughly 2 days. I'm pretty impressed with myself. :)

Then it came time to move and arrange stuff. I didn't give my body a break. I moved my futon and couch all over the place, shoved a desk down from my new apartment to my old apartment and shoved my old desk from my old apartment to my new apartment...just because I didn't like the look of the one in my new apartment. I moved two dressers down to my old apartment for the next SLC (because I don't have much stuff, so I only need one dresser). I moved two end tables, two shelves, two tupperware drawer things, plenty of lamps, all of my kitchen crap, my chair from my bedroom, oh...and I switched out my desk chair because I just liked the plain wooden one better. Oh, and I carried my desk hutch down to my apartment and switched it out with the one that was in here already (because I didn't want to have to rearrange all the stuff I already had in the hutch). There's so much more...but that was just to give you an idea of the kinda work I'd been up to. It was nice having the building almost completely to myself, so I didn't get in anyone's way.

Anyways, things are finally taking shape. All of my stuff is in it's place...I just need to hang a couple of shelves on the wall and get some new photos printed out for my photo wall in my bedroom. Otherwise, things are pretty set. I love it! My student room is so much bigger and brighter! :D And my futon is immeasurably more comfortable than my old couch ever was. I'm still getting used to my bedroom. It's not my favorite room in the building like my last bedroom was....but it's getting there, growing on me. It's about 7 or 8 inches smaller than my old bedroom, and since there's a tree outside my window, my bedroom really doesn't get much light at all during the day. :( But I'm liking it more and more each day.

And now, this is my last week of summer. I FINALLY get to relax a bit before we start training on Sunday. Besides the first couple weeks of the summer, this is the only time I've had FOR MYSELF this entire summer. Twelve days of moving Baba, a week of painting and moving, 4th of July at home (living out of a suitcase again...), random drives down to Carmel or Indy just for a dentist appointment or a quick lunch...I'm exhausted. It's been rough, especially since our summers are so short in this job. But I'm glad I'm here now, at least. :)

So there you go. That's what I've got for you for now. Even though it means I've only got one week of summer left, I'm excited for training and for this new school year to start. Hmm...a little nervous too though. Our staff is almost half new people. I'm in a new apartment. I'll have new girls in my hallway. I'll be looked to as a resource by new SLCs. It's all so exciting, and scary. We'll see what happens!

Hopefully I update a bit more often from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment